Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

I received an email this morning from one of my oldest friends telling me she had decided to start a blog. I know a lot of people with blogs and it was never really anything I considered doing since it fell into the "where would I find time for that?" category. She said that one of the reasons she had decided to start was that all the daily wonders of motherhood were going unrecorded - now that was something I could relate to! Maybe this was something I should consider...so, here I am - starting a blog....who would have thought? Today seemed like a good day - without further ado...

I was awakened on this Mother's Day by the person who made me a mom - my almost 6 (going on 16) year-old, Kayleigh. "Mommy!", she whispered about 3 inches from my nose. "Mommy!", louder, but still a whisper. "MOMMY!" - persistent. She was desperate to kick off the Mother's Day festivities that she had been planning for a week. I opened one eye in time to see my fabulous husband ushering the kids downstairs so I could sleep a bit. I roll over to look at the clock - 6:03 am - ARE YOU KIDDING?? They don't wake up this early on Christmas!!! The kids have been secretly planning the details of this day and have done all they could to keep it secret. All week it was, " I can't tell you what we're doing, but let's just say, you won't be eating dinner at home!" The kids planned each detail and my darling hisband just did what he was told...they even planned the breakfast menu! Where do they come up with this???

I crawl out of bed and wander downstairs to find them intently coloring my card. The kids look at me with a combination of excitement that I am awake and the party can start and disappointment that I have "caught" them with the card. I don't make it off the stairs before I am swallowed up in a rush of hugs and kisses and screams, "HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!!!!!"
They excitedly bring me all of the lovely handmade gifts that they have lovingly created at school. Aidan proudly shows me the card and magnet he made and Kayleigh brings me the little plant she had grown and a little book all about "Kayleigh & Mom"....these are the cool moments that make being a mom so worthwhile... having saved what she considers the "best for last", she brings me "Mom coupons". The coupons inform me that, upon my request, K will "carry my Stop & Shop bags", "mack her bed (yes, "mack"), help me coke (cook), and my personal favorite, "give me a big hug."

The day progresses with lots of time on the deck, a perfect sunny day, overlooking the lake. CJ and I actually got to enjoy coffee together as the kids enjoyed a game inside. I came in to find them hitting beach balls at eachother. I asked a silly question - "Are you being safe?". You know what they say about asking silly questions......K looked at me and slyly replied, "Safe enough." I was reminded 100 times today why I am so lucky to be a mom- they smiled at least that many times and that's all it takes.

2 comments:

Melynda said...

I love it! What a treat, I can just picture it. I can't wait until my girls are old enough to do such nice things for me. :) And at least our blogs will have one faithful reader: each other!

Anonymous said...

you will have more than one faithful reader, I love the blog!